Here are some resources that we hope will be helpful during the uncertain times as we deal with the global health crisis.
Check back as we will be adding to these playlists on our YouTube channel regularly.
Practical Tips for Ministers:
Church Responses to COVID-19
Dr. Carlus Gupton offers a curated list of resources for churches planning a reopening.
Vanderbloemen has posted a replay of their recent webinar on ReOpening the Church and leading after COVID-19.
Poster My Wall has a blog post with ideas for congregations dealing with COVID-19. Some of the ideas for helping members combat loneliness and supporting vulnerable members are particularly helpful.
Johnson University is presenting regular Zoom meetings with HST’s Dr. Carlus Gupton and other church leaders discussing ministry in these difficult times.
Odyssey Impact is presenting “Town Hall” style meetings with chaplains from various backgrounds discussing ministry during these times.
Carey Nieuwhof offers 5 Ways to Get Better Preaching Directly to a Camera.
The Praxis Journal offers this article, a helpful resource for church leaders to navigate the current crisis. Dr. Black says,
Although it dates back to March 20 (a long time ago in COVID-19 time) it is one of the most helpful things I have seen for understanding where we are and might be going–with a great weather metaphor that can shape how we think about it. I encourage you to read it.
Dennis Washington has practical instructions for getting your congregation online. Dennis is a multimedia communications specialist for Alabama Power in Birmingham, Alabama.
Coronavirus is impacting churches in profound ways. Here are several links with helpful resources from Dr. Carlus Gupton:
- Coronavirus and the Church is the best one-stop for articles, white-papers, and how-to guides on most issues churches are facing. It is hosted by Dr. Rick Warren and Dr. Ed Stetzer and sponsored by The Peace Plan, The Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College, and the Humanitarian Disaster Institute. https://coronavirusandthechurch.com
- Church Marketing’s Ultimate Coronavirus Guide For Churches covers digital ministry, digital services, and digital giving https://churchmarketinguniversity.com/the-ultimate-coronavirus-guide-for-churches/
- Christianity Today’s Concise Coronavirus Guide for Churches (links to .pdf), https://www.christianitytoday.com/lyris/eblast/ct/2020/coronavirus-guide-for-churches-update.pdf
- ChurchLeaders.com, The Church Guide to Coronavirus (links to several articles and white papers), https://churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-articles/372334-the-church-guide-to-coronavirus.html
- Centers for Disease Control Resources for Community- and Faith-Based Leaders, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/index.html
- Carey Neiuwhof’s COVID-19 Tips on How to Lead Through Rapid Change, Unexpected Change, https://careynieuwhof.com/how-to-lead-through-rapid-unexpected-change-responding-to-covid-19/
- The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, How the Church Can Respond to the Coronavirus, https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/how-the-church-can-respond-to-the-coronavirus
- Ministry Together has a great techy video on setting up and conducting online services, https://www.ministrytogether.com/effective-online-church/
- Vanderbloemen Group has assembled a helpful page of COVID-19 resources for church leaders https://www.vanderbloemen.com/covid19
- For churches that are new to online giving, Hope Network recommends these three resources:
- Subsplash is a low cost system with solid customer service and methods of receiving funds from phone or computer, phone is 206-965-8090, web: https://www.subsplash.com/;
- Tithe.ly is used by large and small churches and states it is the #1 giving site for churches, phone is 424-644-3120, web: https://get.tithe.ly/;
- Giving Tools has producted a helpful pdf with tips for selecting a company to use – https://givingtools.com/assets/files/GuidetoOnlineGiving.pdf
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act can help churches, non-profits, and other organizations that are economically at risk due to COVID-19. Here are a few resources that may be of help.
It is likely that there are limited resources available, so you should probably act quickly if you plan to seek funds for your church.
- First is a free 60-minute webinar sponsored by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability on Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 1:00pm ET // 12:00pm CT // 11:00am MT // 10:00am PT. One may see more information and register here: https://www.ecfa.org/Events.aspx?EventID=295.
- Second is a very informative article on the subject. One appears in the Christian Index, “Q & A: How Churches, Pastors are Eligible for Relief in Stimulus Package,” https://christianindex.org/churches-pastors-relief-stimulus-package.
Journey through John: This is an on-going series of lessons by HST alumnus Dr. Mark Adams. It includes a reading guide, sermons, and a podcast. The podcast includes interviews with HST Professor Mark E. Powell and HST alumni Kevin Burr and Keith Stanglin.
Let Justice Roll: These are lessons about justice from the minor prophets. These are also for the adult Bible class teachers at the Church of Christ at White Station produced by Dr. Dave Bland, Fall 2014.
This google document is a collection of free resources for New Testament studies during the Coronavirus pandemic.