The HST D.Min. consists of 34 hours, divided into coursework, orientation, and dissertation/project.
- 19 hours of core curriculum which are scheduled in three courses per year (one per semester). These six seminars are organized into a repeated six-semester cycle.
- A non-credit orientation. Students may enter the program at any point, but must complete the orientation in connection with their first fall semester course.
- Research skills taught in three consecutive 1-hour HST Live seminars during the 4th, 5th, 6th semesters of enrollment.
- 6 hours of electives that may be fulfilled through other HST ministry courses, D.Min. courses at other accredited institutions, or other specialty programs. This could facilitate sub-specialties in numerous areas according to student needs and interests. Students work alongside HST professors to ensure the program relevance and academic content and objectives of the electives.
- Final dissertation/integrative project (6 hours).
Course Format and Residency
The 19-hour core curriculum includes six seminars that are organized into a repeated six-semester cycle. The seminars are offered as one-week intensives to assist those who live a considerable distance from Memphis, and are usually scheduled in March, June, and October of each year, with pre- and post-session assignments. The oral defense takes place on campus. In special cases students can appeal for an exception which might permit the defense to take place via HST LIVE.
Length of the Degree
Conceivably, a student could finish the D.Min. coursework in two years, and then finish electives and dissertation/integrative project in the third year. Accreditation standards allow a maximum of six years for degree completion. Below is a sample three-year completion schedule.
Year 1, Fall
- D.Min. Orientation (0 hours)
- Wisdom and Character Formation (3 hours)
Year 1, Spring
- Contextual Theology and Strategies (initial Memphis residence plus HST Live) (4)
Year 1, Summer
- Worship and Congregational Formation (3)
Year 2, Fall
- Creative Practices for Preaching (3)
- Research I (1 hour, HST Live)
Year 2, Spring
- Leadership Development (3)
- Research II (1 hour, HST Live)
Year 2, Summer
- Congregational Leadership Systems (3)
- Research III (1 hour, HST Live)
Year 3 (Fall, Spring)
- Electives (6)
- Dissertation/Integrative Project (non-residency, 6)
- May graduation