Harding School of Theology is a branch school of Harding University in Searcy, Ark. Harding began as a senior college when two junior colleges merged in 1924. The college moved to its present location in Searcy in 1934, and it was renamed Harding University in 1979. The University now has 44 buildings on its 275-acre campus, which, in conjunction with the Memphis, Tenn., campus, are valued at approximately $249 million.
Harding School of Theology is an outgrowth of graduate studies in religion that began on the Searcy campus in 1952. An extension program offering such courses in Memphis was begun in 1955. In 1958, the Board of Trustees of Harding University officially expanded the Memphis program into a branch of Harding University and appointed Dr. W.B. West, Jr. as dean, a position he held until 1972.
The name was changed from Harding University Graduate School of Religion on July 1, 2011, to better reflect the theological commitments of the School.