News Blog

Across The Bridge – Fall 2013: Change, Fellowship, Mentoring

December 9, 2013 | Written by Matt Carter

The Fall 2013 issue of the Bridge covered Dr. Evertt W. Huffard’s transition from VP/Dean to dean, Beng Chuan Tan’s thoughts about his semester in Memphis, and an article about our apprenticeship program.

Beng Chuan TanBeng Chuan Tan was the first Hogan-Cate Asian Mission Sabbatical recipient. The Hogan-Cate endowment covers expenses for a ministry leader in Asia to spend a semester at HST for equipping and renewal. Beng Chuan spent the semester participating fully in the life of our campus as well as at Harding University in Searcy. He traveled in Texas, Illinois, and within Tennessee making connections with others in the US who are involved in Asian missions.

His thoughts were excerpted in the Bridge article. You may read his full article here.

In addition to the student “Thank-you Notes” for scholarship donors that were published in the Bridge, here are a few more:

Luke DockeryMy graduate school education has been a tremendous blessing to me and, by extension, to my church family, but as wonderful as) it is, it would simply not be financially possible for me to pursue a graduate degree without your generous support. — Luke Dockery, M.Div. student (Associate Minister, Farmington Church of Christ)

bowenIt’s hard to describe how important HST has been for my ministry. The knowledge, experience, insight and fellowship I’ve enjoyed there has been VITAL. You (donor) are a part of every victory won in the name of Christ. My family is transitioning from a stateside ministry to foreign missions in SE Asia. We’ll be there for some years, praying constantly that we might see God plant hundreds of churches and make thousands of obedient disciples. I invite you to pray with us to this end. You (donor) are, after all, already a part of everything we’ll be allowed to do by the God who sends us in His name. – Michael Bowen, M.Div. student

Thank you so much for your willingness to sacrifice in the hopes of blessing those you might never meet. — Russell Taylor, M.A. in Christian Ministry student

Femi OsibinYour support shows that you understand what it means to be participants in the gospel. My prayer for you all is that you will be assured in the fact that you are not only helping someone in the present, but by helping preachers reach their full potential, you are blessing congregations in the future. – Femi Osibin, M.Div. student

I hope and pray that you are filled with peace because of the impact your donations are making in the lives of students like me and the kingdom work that happens as a result of the academic work at HST. – Bob Palmer, M.Div. student

Noguchi

Spreading the Word Abroad! HST alumni Yoshiya (MAR ’94) and Emiko Noguchi (MDiv ’97) and their children sport HST “Run for the Son” t-shirts in Japan. Dwight Albright (MTh ’74 and MA ’77) took the photo on a recent visit.

Posted in Across the Bridge

Comments Off

Comments have been turned off.